Friday, February 4, 2011

Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt - Review



Publisher: Atheneum Books
Release Date: July 1st, 2003
Source: Borders
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“I have the feeling that I know who I am, only I'm not anymore.”

Dicey's Song was absolutely beautiful. I cried near the end.

Set in the 1980's, the second book of the Tillerman Cycle, Dicey's Song, picks up from the end of the Homecoming, the first book. The Tillerman children have been welcomed into their grandmother's house. Throughout the book, Dicey gets a job at a store and goes to school. She befriends a girl named Mina from her class. She also listens to a boy named Jeff play guitar every afternoon right after school. Their mother, who is in a hospital in Boston, isn't really talked about during the first half of the book.

As the story progresses, more problems and situations are introduced to Dicey. It becomes harder for Dicey to make decisions. Her grandma advises her to just hold on to her loved ones, but at the same time just let go. Dicey has never had to let go before in her life. She has to make one of the hardest decisions she has ever made.

I extremely recommend this book, and this whole series. Cynthia Voigt is a truly inspirational writer. I love her descriptions and how she plays out the story. She is very creative and a very deep writer. I plan to read some more of her works.

Dicey's Song will definitely play with your emotions and you will suddenly feel grateful for the things in your life. That is why I loved this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment